Friday, March 16, 2012

Lessons Learned This Week

Write Down My Goal
After I got home from training with Jeff Galloway (3 weeks ago) I wrote down on my calendar when my long runs would be and how far.  This week, I ran 11 miles.  If I had not written that down, I would have not have finished my run because of the rain.  But I had seen it on my calendar for 3 weeks, visualized it, and realized I didnt have another time this week that I could achieve my goal!

Gear
I need a good light weight rain jacket - I ran yesterday in horrible rain, so I know I can do it now and will do it again!  But a cotton t-shirt is not what I want to wear while running in the rain.   A hat would have been nice too.

Phone
Bring it on long runs.  When the thunder storm hit I did get a little scared and realized a phone would have been nice.

Strength Training
Do not do a lot of leg exercises two days before a long run.  I thought the day off between would give my legs enough rest.  I was wrong.  My legs got very sore on my long run.  Jeff suggest that running is enough exercise for your legs, you do not need a lot of strength training for your legs.  - I am a slow learner.

Food
Bring something on a long run.  I have never carried food or water on a long run, even when I did half marathons.  But yesterday taught me that I need to reconsider.  One suggestion Jeff made is sugar cubes - basically sugar that is easy to digest.  He also recommends Accelerade products, but unfortunately I am allergic to some of the ingredients.  I need to find something that will work for me.

Run/ Walk/ Run
It is working for me!!!  Day after my long run, I feel good.  I do have a few aches and pains, but nothing bad, just a little sore.  Which is probably normal given it has been 10 years since I ran 11 miles!

No comments:

Post a Comment