Friday, March 9, 2012

First Run/ Walk/ Run


I was pretty fired up to try a long run.  I set the timer that Jeff gave me to 1:30 / 30.  Which means, I would run for one minute, thirty seconds then walk for thirty seconds.  It was incredibly frustrating at first.  I felt great; I did not want to stop.  And, when I did stop it felt like I stood still.  But, I was determined to follow directions.  I really hated walking when I was near other runners.  That competitive nature of mine would kick in.   I would cruise past someone, and then the beep would sound.  Ugh, I would stop to walk, as they would run past me.  Finally, after about 30 minutes, I got into a rhythm.   I would almost stop to walk automatically.  I started really focusing on the present moment, I enjoyed looking at all the houses, the flowers, other people, I was feeling great.  This feeling continued for another hour.  I returned home after an hour and a half and ran upstairs to map how far I had gone on the computer.  9 miles!!!  I have not gone that far in years.  And, I seriously felt good.  I had a snack and went about my day.  The next morning was the real test; I did feel a little sore but not bad at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment