Friday, March 9, 2012

Intown 10K


Four days after my first long run was a 10K that I had previously signed up for.  One of the many things I love about our neighborhood are all the road races that begin literally out my front door.  I run in a lot of 5K races, but have not attempted a 10K since the Peachtree Road Race in 2010. 

I used to run with friends before my last onslaught of injuries.  For a year or more I would join a group of moms at 6am and run in the neighborhood.  I loved that time to catch up with friends and it was a great way to start the day.  But since my injuries I have been afraid to run with others, I did not want to slow anyone down, and I was afraid I would try to stay at their pace and get injured again.  So, when I saw a group of friends at the 10K start I moved way back so I would not be tempted.  I w uncertain as to what my race pace would be and decided if I ran with others I would probably run too fast. 

It was FREEZING outside; it took all that I had just to stay at the start line.  The race finally started, and I kept to the side and tried to focus on keeping a steady pace.  For the first race ever, I did succeed at keeping a steady pace, as I looked at the clock at each mile, I was keeping right at a 7 minute, 45 second pace.  I was extremely happy to run the whole race sub – 8 miles and still feel good.  I have run 10Ks faster and I have run them slower.  But sub – 8 and still feel good?  That is what it is all about!

Now maybe I can run with others!

No comments:

Post a Comment