Thursday, March 15, 2012

Fair weather runner - no more

I was inspired when Jeff Galloway told me that weather does not stop him from running.  I tend to agonize over the weather channel before a run.  I do not like to run in the cold or rain.  As much as I do not like the treadmill, I will succumb if the weather is not good. 

Today  was my long run day.  My goal was ELEVEN miles.  I was really excited to increase my mileage, but also very nervous.  I have not run eleven miles since my last half marathon in 2001!!  I fortunately had a friend who joined me for half of the run.   Wow, does running with a friend make the time go by so much faster. 
I planned ahead and charted out eleven miles.   I set my timer to 3:30 for running and a 30 second walk.  The first 5 miles flew by as my friend and I chatted.  I had checked the weather and thought it was suppose to be a beautiful day.  During the first 5 miles it sprinkled a few times, but nothing bad.  I will say however, the old me would have turned around and headed home.  But it was warm out and I was busy talking.

My friend turned off and headed home and I continued.  It started raining again.  I quickly began to realize why stores sell those super light weight rain jackets.  They always seemed like a waste of money to me.   But in this rain, I really wished I had one.  I continued and the rain stopped.  I started laughing to myself and thought I could not believe I was actually out running in the rain and had not turned towards home-  I am no longer a fair weather runner.  Then, the rain gods decided to get their laugh.  The sky opened up and DUMPED rain on me.  Buckets of rain.  I realized I was very far from home, I did not have my phone, I did not know anyone who lived on the street, so my only choice was to continue.  As I am weighing all my options I also realize this was my only chance to do a long run this week.  I had to stick with it.  The rain gods had to throw one more at me with a few big pops of thunder, and finally they stopped.  Ahhh... no more rain. 

My plan was to continue at 3:30/30 for as long as I could, but give myself the option to go to 3 min run / 1 min walk if I got too tired.  With the rain, I kept it at 3:30/30 to get home faster.  During the thunder storm I picked up my pace, which after 9 miles was a mistake.  At 9, I did start to look at my watch more, started feeling my back, my IT band, oh and I got really hungry.  But I continued.  My last half mile was awesome.  I had achieved my goal, despite the weather, not having the right gear, and getting tired and hungry.  I did it! 

I came home dried off, made a bowl of oatmeal and frozen raspberries.  Then I discovered a small animal on the back of my head.  Not really, but look at what the rain and constant movement of my ponytail did to my HAIR.  As a bonus, I got the best arm workout I have had in awhile.  It took 45 minutes of combing to get this dread out of my hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment